Skip to main content

Virat Kohli is perfect for No. 4 spot: AB de Villiers

India has struggled to find a suitable No.4 ever since Yuvraj Singh retired from cricket from | The Hindu https://ift.tt/gQTYZn4

Major League Soccer resumes season after five matches postponed, more action on the cards

Major League Soccer is resuming its season after several midweek matches were postponed when players decided not to play to call attention to racial injustice.

The league said Friday that the move comes after a "period of reflection and conversation" with the group Black Players for Change, other league players and the MLS Players Association.

"It was really important for us as Black athletes to take the stand that we did on Wednesday to remind people that this needs to be a priority for us, especially within these league that have so many Black athletes," said D.C. United goalkeeper Earl Edwards Jr., a member of the executive board of Black Players For Change. "We need to prioritize our lives and do everything they can to to make sure our lives are being seen equally in this country."

A fan sits in the stands after the scheduled game between Real Salt Lake and Los Angeles FC was postponed Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020, in Sandy, Utah. Major League Soccer players boycotted five games Wednesday night in a collective statement against racial injustice. The players' action came after all three NBA playoff games were called off in a protest over the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin on Sunday night. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Five of the six matches Wednesday were postponed when MLS players joined counterparts in the NBA, WNBA and Major League Baseball in skipping play to protest the shooting by police of Jacob Blake, a Black man, in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The NHL also postponed games this week.

Toronto played the Impact in the lone MLS game on Friday.

Edwards said the players' action came together quickly. Players had already taken to the field for the game between Orlando City and Nashville when the players agreed to sit out.

"It's just something I'm extremely proud of, I know the group is really proud of it. I think even the league is starting to realize that it was a very impactful, powerful thing for the league itself, as well," Edwards said.

As part of the resumption, Black Players for Change will meet with the league's owners to explore additional action.

The group was formed after the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, in Milwaukee. Floyd died when a police officer pressed a knee on his neck for more than seven minutes. The death touched off global protests.

The league's restart also comes as one of its owners is mired in controversy. Dell Loy Hansen, owner of Real Salt Lake, reacted to the player walk-out on a radio show Thursday by saying, "They clearly did not support our city or organisation."

Hansen went on to suggest he might not invest in the team further. Later in the day, The Athletic website published a story that alleged Hansen had used racially insensitive language and a racial slur. MLS is investigating.

Real Salt Lake announced Friday evening that Hansen was taking a leave of absence from all team operations during the investigation



from Firstpost Sports Latest News https://ift.tt/2EI7JRm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

India vs Australia: Ashton Agar feels experience of outthinking batsmen during Sheffield Shield will come handy

Melbourne: Australia spin all-rounder Ashton Agar says the experience of outthinking batsmen on "really good wickets" during the recent Sheffield Shield games would help him when he competes against India in the upcoming series. The 27-year-old Agar had featured in both the limited-over formats for Australia last summer but missed his spot in the ODIs on their tour of England in September. Now set to join his limited-overs teammates on Sunday after completing his engagements at the Sheffield Shield and undergoing a two-week quarantine in Perth, Agar is hoping his experience in the fast few weeks will help him in the upcoming series. "I bowled about 150 overs in three Shield games. I bowled on some wickets that were absolute highways," Agar, who took 10 wickets in three games for Western Australia in October-November, was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au . "Trying to think batsmen out on really good wickets actually holds you in good stead going into an ...